Thursday 15 September 2011

Book Submission 1

Title: The Time Traveller's Wife

Author: Audrey Niffenegger
Year Published: 2003
Number of pages: 525

I chose this book because when I was going through the list this was the book that I thought was going to be the most interesting. I am a big fan of romance and I had seen the movie when it came out. Rachel McAdam’s was the lead female in the movie; she is an amazing actor and I thought this book would be great because of how the two main characters in the movie brought the story to life on screen.

I really enjoy this book so far because of how it is laid out. The book is laid out in basic dialogue between the two characters and sometimes more characters get thrown it. It flips from the past and the present of where Clare is. 

I have only read the first 3 chapters but already I am really enjoying the story line and how the characters all tell the story in different perspectives.

In the beginning of the book it goes to where Clare is in her present and she sees Henry again. This is the first time that she has seen him other than when she was 18 and younger so she is over excited and shocked. He on the other hand does not remember her nor does he have any idea that she knows about his condition and that they have met over 100 times before this time. I can already in just the few chapters I have read I can tell that there is a lot of love and chemistry between these two lead characters.

There are a few themes that I see that are forming already and that is love, change and loneliness. The love theme that I can see already is between Clare and Henry I can really see them being a true love that can face anything and as their characters start to get to know each other and face things together it really shows. Change is a big theme in the book so far because they both need to deal with change. Henry needs to deal with having someone to come back to and to think about their feelings and Clare has to work on being okay with waiting around for him when he goes, because they both can not control when he does go but he needs to try and understand how hard it is going to be on her. Lastly loneliness, Clare is going to have to deal with being alone when Henry is gone and that is for long periods of time the majority of the time. I think the author is trying to show these themes because she wants the reader to really be able to relate to the characters and what they are going through. 

A secondary resource that I have currently looked into is the movie Time Traveller's Wife. The movie was amazing. It really showed the love and pain between the two main characters. The book is conversations between the two main characters; or even between the main characters and other loved ones or people they cross paths with in their time. The movie did an outstanding job on showing the time line and the conversations between all of the characters in the book. It is interesting to see how great of a job they did with bringing the story and situations to life.
“It’s hard to be the one left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, if he’s okay. Its hard to be the one who stays"(Niffenegger 1).

This line from the novel really speaks to me, not just because it is the first sentence, it’s because it takes my mind away to be put in her perspective and how she is feeling at that point in time. This sentence is not overly emotional but you can put your own emotions to how she is feeling as she is saying this. “ it’s hard to be the one who stays” is the thing that impacted the most, no one likes being left behind so I can really feel her emotions when she says that. 

My goal is to finish reading my book by the middle of October.

September 16-23;Page 1-159
September 23-30;Page 159- part 2
October 1-9;Part 2 - page 398
October 9-16; 398-End








No comments:

Post a Comment